I joke with my fiance, that it felt like there were 80 days in January. It was quite a month where we experienced a lot of huge life changes and life transitions (some of which we're really excited about). I lean on my faith for most everything in my life, it's where I draw courage and strength when I need it most. Recently, I was moved by this beautiful profound passage from the book, The Greatest Miracle in the World. It's an incredible read, and although it's long, I'm asking that you read the entire thing, because I am almost certain it will move you too.Read More
I love the feeling of being swaddled in an oversized sweater in a cold (well these days the weather has been quiet frigid) winter day. I notice that as I get older, I enjoy comfort, but I don't like sacrificing comfort for style. I like the chic effortless look of an oversized sweater with skinny jeans and other winter gear and couldn't pass this one up during Zara's winter sale. I also picked up the boots I'm wearing, aren't they so stylish? They're now on sale at Zara, check them out here
I wore this look to dinner with a few friends the day before New Year's Eve. During dinner we spoke about some of our goals that we wanted to acheive in the new year and behaviors we wanted to implement to enhance our lives. That dinner conversation provided the inspiration for this post.Read More
Happy 2018 Lovelies,
I'm closing out 2017 feeling truly blessed, it was an amazing year in so many different ways and in so many different areas of my life. There's just so much that I thank God for but some of the highlights include getting engaged, getting promoted at work, traveling adventures, and staying committed to another year of fitness.
I spent some time earlier today creating a vision board reflecting some of my goals and desires for the new year. While I usually write down my goals and dreams, it is my first vision board, and I really enjoyed the process of creating it. There're a number of things I want to achieve in 2018, and I'm sharing a few of them with you below:
1. Eat clean. I fine-tuned my workout regimen, and this year I really hope to eat more healthy foods and implement a clean diet. I watched a number of videos on Youtube and collected a few recipes to get me started. I'm excited about this change.
2. I'm getting married in 2018 (*happy dance*) so you can only imagine that wedding planning is in full swing. I want my wedding to beautiful and smooth sailing. I'll be sharing my wedding planning process with you here on the blog and on my Youtube channel.
3. Continue to grow as a blogger and a Youtuber. I enjoy the blogging and the blogging community. I hope to collaborate and partner with other bloggers and brands this year. Doing my first press trip and covering the Martha's Vineyard African-American film festival were two of my blogging highlights from 2017, I look forward to even more highlights in 2018.
4. Give myself permission to shine. Because playing small doesn't serve anyone.
5. Become involved in at least one community organization. I truly believe that "service is the rent we pay for room on this Earth."
What are some of your goals for 2018? I'd love to hear please share!
In my first post for the blog in 2017, I spoke about my fitness journey, my fitness goals and the changes that becoming fit brought to my life. Having started in 2013, I've done this gym thing consistently now for over four years. While meeting my fitness goals and seeing the changes in my body motivate me and fill me with a sense of accomplishment, the most lasting change is that I have become a different person.
I look back at when I started in 2013 and smile with satisfaction at my growth over the last years. I remember that initial trial-and-error period where I worried that I wasn't working out correctly and that I wouldn't make the gains I wanted. At times I wondered if progress come since I wasn't working with a trainer. With time came assurance and confidence and progress. I noticed that I lifted heavier weights overtime, did more challenging exercises, and tweaked my regimen as I gained more knowledge from experience and hours of research.
While my outer body changed, I also experienced an internal change. This journey (like many of life's journeys) changes you. Physically, your body, your tendons, and your muscles change. With that, I've also become more disciplined, more confident, more in tuned with my body and more committed to my self-care. I started this journey alone, and while there are many people who inspire me, I am my competition. It was up to me to get fit and there's such a great feeling when you know deep down that you did it. That you're capable.
What were some of your goals for 2017 and how did you go about achieving them?
Gyming it in 2017